Is it Time to Replace Your Siding? 10 Signs You Need New Siding for Your Home
Siding Replacement Tips
Siding is an essential component of a home’s exterior, not just for aesthetic reasons but also for protection against weather elements. However, like every other part of a home, siding has a lifespan and faces wear and tear over time. As a homeowner, you must be aware of the signs that indicate it’s time to replace your home’s siding. In this post, we’ll discuss ten common signs that show you need new siding for your home.
1) Cracking or Peeling: If you notice cracks or peeling paint on your siding, it is a sign that the material is deteriorating. Cracks can lead to moisture buildup and worsen the condition, leading to structural damage. Peeling paint is also a telltale sign that your siding needs replacement.
2) Rotting or Warping: Siding is prone to rotting, particularly if it is made of wood. Twist or warping in your siding can also indicate that moisture has seeped into the material. This kind of problem might require a complete siding replacement.
3) High Energy Bills: If you notice an unexpected spike in your energy bills, your home’s insulation may not be functioning correctly. Aging, fading siding could allow cold air into your home during winter and hot air during summer. Keeping up with your siding replacement can help you save on energy costs.
4) Fading or Discoloration: Over time, long-term exposure to the sun can cause your siding to fade or discolor. If you see vibrant colors on your neighborhood homes and your home looks dull compared to theirs, it may be time to replace your siding.
5) Dents or Holes: Visible dents or holes in your siding are not just unsightly but also an entry point for pests like rodents and insects. If left untended, these pests can cause structural damage and result in costly repairs.
6) Mold and Fungus: Mold and Mildew are natural consequences of frequent seasonal changes. However, mold and fungus growth on your siding can indicate that your siding has become porous and moisture is trapped in it. Mold and fungus growth poses a significant danger, especially for occupants with respiratory problems.
7) Bubbles: If you notice bubbles under your siding, it is an indication of moisture trapped under your siding. This moisture buildup can cause rotting in your siding’s structure, leading to potential damage to the interior of your home.
8) Interior damage: Sometimes, the first signs of siding issues are visible inside your home. If you see paint peeling off surface walls or odd stains in your ceiling, it could be an indication of water infiltrating into your home through your siding.
9) Age: Siding materials have different average lifespans. If your home is more than 20 years old and hasn’t had any siding replacement, you may need to consider a full replacement.
10) Selling your home: If you are considering selling your home, worn-out, damaged siding can be a real deal-breaker. A well-maintained exterior greatly contributes to your home’s curb appeal and value, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
Siding is a vital protection mechanism for your home. Be vigilant and watch for these signs – cracking, peeling, rotting, high energy bills, dents or holes, mold and fungus, bubbles, interior damage, age, and selling your home – which indicates it’s time to make decisions about replacing your siding. Fixing siding issues in time can help save you from costly repairs and improve the overall value of your home. If you think that your siding is starting to show one of these warning signs, contact your siding expert straight away to get started on your renovation journey.
For over 15 years, we have been the trusted professionals in the Seattle and Puget Sound area, so if you need a siding replacement expert, call MBA Construction today 206-753-9563.